Family of Indian boy attacked in Australia get visas after week: The Tribune India

0


Tribune press service

New Delhi, October 14

The Department of External Affairs has authorized the issuance of travel documents to the family of Shubham Garg, a 28-year-old student of Indian origin, who was brutally attacked with a knife in Sydney on October 6.

When asked if it was a racial attack, MEA spokesman Arindam Bagchi said that although there was speculation to that effect, he would not like to s Engage in it because the main objective of the government was to treat Shubham properly so that he would come out of critical condition.

“According to our information, he is in hospital. The High Commission in Canberra and the Consulate in Sydney are in close contact with the local authorities as well as the family here,” he said while adding that some members Consulate staff attended the hospital on Thursday and assessed his condition.

Shubham, who holds a BTech and an MSc from IIT, Chennai, had arrived in Australia in September last year to pursue a PhD in mechanical engineering at the University of NSW.

Acting on reports that Shubham’s family had been waiting for a visa for a week, the MEA made contact with the Australian High Commission, which led to the travel documents being issued to the family.

Shubham was attacked at the corner of Pacific Highway and Gatacre Avenue Lane Cove at Artamon in Sydney. He was helped by locals and was taken to Royal North Shore Hospital where he had to undergo several surgeries. His condition remains critical.

Police arrested a certain Daniel Norwood near the crime scene and charged him with attempted murder. The local court denied Norwood bail. It will be produced again on December 14.

According to local media, Norwood accosted Shubham as he was walking near Gatacre Avenue and threatened him, demanding money and his cellphone. When Shubham attempted to resist, Norwood stabbed him repeatedly and fled.

#Australia

Share.

Comments are closed.