We are delighted to announce that the TechGirls 2023 application is now open.
TechGrils is an international summer exchange program designed to empower and inspire high school girls (15-17 years old) from the Middle East, North Africa and Central Asia to pursue careers in science, technology, engineering and mathematics (STEM).
A regional exchange for TechGirls from Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Palestinian Territories and Tunisia will take place in the summer of 2023.
The centerpiece of the exchange will be a two-week program at Virginia Tech University in Blacksburg, Va., which will include Java coding instruction, cybersecurity courses and interactive labs. Additional activities will include site visits to Washington D.C.-based technology companies, leadership clinics, action planning workshops, community service opportunities, job shadowing, cross-cultural collaboration, and home stays. living the weekend with American families in Southwest Virginia.
During the US-based exchange, participants will create action plans for community projects that they will be required to implement upon returning to their home communities. Projects will be designed to build and support the skills and connections acquired during the US program.
Students eligible to apply are those who:
- Are from Lebanon or long-time Palestinian residents. US citizens or green card holders are not eligible.
- Be between the ages of 15 and 17 at the start of the exchange on July 8, 2023 (Born on or between July 9, 2005 and July 8, 2008)
- Have demonstrated advanced skills and a serious interest in science, technology, engineering and/or mathematics in their university studies;
- Intend to pursue higher education and/or careers in STEM, especially technology;
- Have strong English language skills (advanced intermediate English skills);
- Demonstrate maturity, flexibility and open-mindedness;
- Will attend at least one additional semester in secondary school upon their return to their home country;
- Commit to carrying out a community project when they return home; and
- Meet the U.S. J-1 visa eligibility criteria (for example, U.S. citizens are not eligible for the J-1 visa).
- Eligible applicants must be citizens and current residents of participating countries. Third-country nationals permanently residing in an eligible country should contact us to determine their eligibility before applying.
Note: Preference will be given to those with little or no previous experience in the United States. You are not eligible if you have traveled to the United States within the last three years under any other ECA exchange program.
Please note that family members of U.S. Embassy or Consulate personnel. Employees of the United States Department of State, family members of the administering organization, or partner organizations are not eligible to apply.
TechGirls encourages people with diverse backgrounds and skills to apply, including people with disabilities.
Legacy International works closely with the U.S. Department of State, local and global health professionals to plan a program that adheres to best public health practices. As the global health situation stabilizes, we hope to conduct the program in person in the summer of 2023.
Applications must be submitted online at https://techgirlsglobal.org/apply/eligibility-and-application-2/ by December 16, 2022.
All program expenses will be covered by the US Department of State.