Demand continues to far exceed the supply of US visa appointments in India. Embassy officials recently announced updates to help individuals prepare. Additionally, details of F-1 visa appointments are announced, with appointments opening the week of May 15, 2022 for new applicants.
- Full capacity will return in mid to late 2023.
- For 2022, around two-thirds of the capacity is expected.
- Repeated refreshing of the federal CGI website will lock the individual for three days or 72 hours. Officials say there will be enough nominations in F1. Users should check periodically.
- Individuals must complete a DS-160: Online Nonimmigrant Visa Application prior to the interview with their final information. The SEVIS fee must be paid before the interview for F1 candidates.
- There is no need to hire booking agents. Individuals can choose to work with these agents if they prefer. However, the embassy has stressed that any false information is considered fraud and some agents may suggest including false information to complete the booking. The focus is on ensuring full compliance.
- For an F-1 visa, individuals must apply where they reside or in their home country.
- Drop box stamping can be expected to take seven days with earlier and later processing.
Embassy officials said new visa offers were being added to US consulates across India. They state that capacity is increasing and is on track to return to normal levels.
F-1 visa appointments are scheduled to open the week of May 15, 2022 for Fall 2022 students. Individuals can monitor the webpage from there to see when they open. A specific date was not provided as in the past systems crashed when overloaded. The second batch of appointments should be available in early June. Embassy officials point to the wide availability of F1 appointments for new applicants, offering the highest number of F1 appointments ever given for this year.
Embassy officials urge students to contact their schools and apply for the I-20 as soon as possible to book and complete their F-1 visa process.
For applicants previously rejected in the current or previous year, appointments will be available between August 15 and September 1.
If you have questions about your F-1 visa or any other immigration-related issues, contact us at the ILBSG. We work with you for your specific situation to ensure you get the right advice.